New small talk scheduling algorithm
September 13, 2020
This is our weekly update, and we’d greatly appreciate any feedback.
New features / significant changes:
- Small talks diversify. The new scheduling algorithm will ensure that you don’t meet with the same people more often than every four weeks. This will increase the chances of having nice informal discussions with a larger number of colleagues.
- Small talks defragmentation. You could have experienced a situation when automatically scheduled resulted in additional breaks the all-meets. The new scheduling algorithm is optimized to schedule all the small talks during existing breaks in-between regular meets and will never create new breaks. When it is not possible, small talk could be scheduled right before or right after regular meet with no breaks.
Small improvements & bug fixes:
- [IMPROVEMENT] Maximum one small talk per person a day
- [IMPROVEMENT] Small talks now respect “Require 5-minute breaks” user preference
- [BUG] Meet can be canceled when you edit meet and discard changes
- [BUG] “Defer at least until” indicator wasn’t displayed on a meet card if they meet can’t be scheduled
- [BUG] Scheduler estimates December 31st in edit mode for meets that can’t be scheduled
- [BUG] Follow-up option shouldn’t be available for small talks
Written by Gene Podolyak
Follow Gene on Twitter