HD video, 16:9 aspect ratio, and filter search results by meet participants
June 21, 2020
This is our weekly update, and we’d greatly appreciate any feedback.
New features / significant changes:
- HD by default. A few weeks ago we introduced a change to prioritize audio over video so that on a limited connection, voice would remain stable even if video lags. That change has allowed us to enable HD resolution by default in this week’s release. You can turn it off in settings if it causes issues.
- 16:9 ratio for video. We’ve made 16:9 the default aspect ratio for video (where possible). Please let us know what you think about this change and if you encounter scenarios where supporting 4:3 would be beneficial.
- Filter search results by meet participants. Sometimes searching for a common keyword (e.g. 1-1) can return too many hits, but if you remember at least one participant you can use that to narrow the result. Now you can type “keywords u:email@example.com” to see only meets with that user.
Small improvements & bug fixes:
- [IMPROVEMENT] Reduced CPU utilization during screen sharing by limiting max resolution and reducing frame rate
- [IMPROVEMENT] Show quorum settings on meet card
- [BUG] Users looked thinner on Meetter than they are in real life
Next week we plan to release various scheduling related improvements, like “if necessary” all-meets acceptance, accepting all-meets only for meets from specific Slack channels, and increased stickiness to reduce reschedulings.
Written by Gene Podolyak
Follow Gene on Twitter